Effective Home Remedies for Bed Sores
When a person is bedridden and is continuously lying on the bed for several hours at a stretch or for days on end, the blood supply to vulnerable parts gets interrupted. The lack of blood supply damages the skin and initiates the development of a bed sore.
As it develops further, it progressively changes from its original red colour and begins to turn purple. Once a bed sore develops and matures, it will not heal easily and will take a very long time and requires greater effort to heal completely.
That’s why stay alert and be on the lookout for tell tale signs like patches of redness
of the skin. This is a painful sore in the making. You can spot it when you are turning the patient from time to time. Get someone else look for the red spots on the skin, while you are focused on carefully shifting the patient’s position.
The sooner you spot the sore, and start to treat it, the quicker it will heal. If you ignore, the sores will turn painful and make the patient suffer more.
Spot The Symptoms & Treat Immediately
The life cycle of a bed sore can be divided into four stages. The initial stage is characterized by tender, itchy and reddened skin on the affected area. In the next stage, the skin becomes swollen and painful blisters develop.
If poorly treated or not treated at all, this sore will turn into something even more serious such as sepsis, gangrene, osteomyelitis or other types of severe infections. In the fourth stage, the severity of the wound increase manifold. Craters begin to form in the skin and the sore turns black. Very soon the sore will become life threatening.
Easy & Effective Home remedies
Take remedial measures immediately after spotting a sore. The treatment can take a conventional route or given in the form of home treatment, which is also equally effective in reversing the infection and healing the sore. The secret lies in spotting the sore in its early stage and start the treatment right away.
- Aloe Vera is a miracle plant. It has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, soothing and healing properties. Simply apply fresh Aloe Vera gel on the bed sores. It will not only cure bed sores but will prevent its occurrence. Aloe Vera’s natural cooling properties prevent itching and burning sensation. This method is one of the most effective home remedies to treat bed sores and get quick relief.
- Applying a mixture of Myrrh Essential Oil and Turmeric powder will improve blood circulation, support the immune system, assists wounds to heal faster, and helps the body get rid of toxins
- Turmeric, on its own, is very effective to heal bed sores. Its anti-microbial properties prevent any form of infection that can be caused from the sores. It reduces pain and provides relief instantly. Turmeric also heals the sores quickly and the wound is cured within a few days.
- Beetroot has been found to be very effective for bed sores. It prevents itchiness and soothes the sores. Beetroot when mixed with honey has increased effectiveness on bed sores. It is very soothing for the areas affected by sores. Also, honey keeps the area moisturized and prevents itchiness and redness.
- Massage can improve blood circulation and in turn prevent bed sores from occurring. Take olive oil or coconut oil and massage the body completely for improved blood circulation. Warm coconut oil is excellent for the skin and massage till it is completely absorbed. As a precaution, massage the entire body except the sores. This will help to boost the circulation and in turn heal the sores rapidly.
- Baby powder will heal the sores faster. Baby powder makes the area dry and in turn prevents infection from spreading. It is important to keep the sores dry as it heals faster. Clean the affected areas with a disinfectant and then sprinkle baby powder to completely cover the wound. This will absorb the moisture present in the sores and help in speedier recovery.
- Sugar and honey is considered to be an excellenthome remedy for bed sores. Powder sugar and mix in a tablespoon of honey. Apply this mix over the sores and cover it using a sterile bandage. This combination helps to heal the bed sores faster and also soothes the wound.
- Saline water can be easily prepared at home and is one of the effective home remedies for bed sores. This also serves as an excellent disinfectant and keeps the area clean.
What The Patient Should Avoid
- Do not let the patient consume coffee or alcohol as it may aggravate the condition.
- Do not let him smoke while suffering from bed sores as it will worsen the situation.
In fact, this will be the best time for the patient to quit this habit altogether!
- Maintain hygiene and keep the affected surfaces clean.
- Always cover the wound as it may otherwise lead to spreading of infection to other areas of the body.
Diet Is Also A Treatment
The diet for proper treatment of bed sores should comprise fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds rich in vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc. They help to boost the immune system and promote faster recovery.
Protein and fiber are essential requirements of a healthy diet. Eggs, fish and milk are particularly useful. Avoid using corn and sunflower oil in cooking as they tend to increase inflammations. So they should be avoided as far as possible.
Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate
Yes, you heard it right! The main reason behind bed sores is improper blood circulation. Drinking plenty of water and other fluids like lemon juice, coconut water, fruit juices, soups etc can help in hydration and prevent bed sores from occurring.
First Understand & Then Treat To Heal
Bed sore is not a disease; it is an after effect of disease mostly caused due to lack of movement. The sore requires immediate attention. In the initial stages, these home remedies for bed sores can do wonders. However, if neglected, the best option is to seek medical advice. One can also consider referring to medical professionals like a nurse at home to take care of the patient