“My mother is 60 years old and she is the coolest person ever. I love her to the moon and back. As they say, your first guru is your mother. And literally, my mother was my first teacher, as she introduced me to the world of dance. Sharp at 7 in the morning, she used to start her kathak session with me, followed by some motivational words.”
The clock has just chimed 7, and Jhanvi is reminiscing about the good old kathak sessions she used to have with her mother.
It’s been 4 years since they last danced together. Reason? Excruciating knee pain! Jhanvi’s mother has been suffering from arthritis and can hardly follow her passion now. And Jhanvi….she has just lost her permanent kathak partner!
Like Jhanvi’s mother, an estimated 15 million Indians fall prey to some form of arthritis every year. And by 2025, the doctors assume that India may become the osteoarthritis capital of the world with over 60 million cases. Scary, isn’t it?
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is not just a single disease but painful & degenerative conditions marked by inflammation, pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints.
According to The Arthritis Foundation, there are more than 60 conditions that fall under arthritis with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis being the most common ones.
Its symptoms develop overtime and thought it is common to see people over the age of 65 get affected by it but children and young adults are known to be equally prone to it.
Though there is no permanent cure for arthritis, we have listed out few easy-to-follow & effective home remedies that can help you manage pain & prevent additional damage to the joints. But remember to consult your doctor before trying them out.
Home remedies for arthritis to ease discomfort from pain
- Turmeric & Ginger – A Pain Fighting Duo
Ginger and turmeric are known to have natural anti-inflammatory properties that aid in lessening the pain in the joints and improve overall well-being. They also act as antioxidants that fight oxidative stress, which may lead to the degeneration of joints.
How to use?
- Boil two cups of water
- Add chopped turmeric and ginger into it (1 tablespoon)
- Heat the mixture for five minutes, then strain
- Cool it down for at least 10 minutes
- Then add 1-2 teaspoons of honey
Consume it daily, best on empty stomach, for amazing benefits.
- Eat a balanced diet
Diet plays a crucial role in managing arthritis pain. Know what to eat and what to avoid!
Foods to Eat
- Omega-3 foods: Fish, flaxseeds, chia seeds and walnuts are great options.
- Foods high in sulfur – Onion, garlic, cabbage and asparagus can aid in reducing inflammation and rebuild tissues.
- High-antioxidant foods: Fresh veggies such as spinach, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, carrots & red and green peppers and fruits that are rich in vitamin A, C & K like berries, melon, papaya, avocado and pineapple can protect the cells from free radical damage, block the inflammatory process and even slow down the cartilage damage!
Foods to Avoid
- Food items laced with sugar
- Hydrogenated oils
- Gluten, flour products and wheat products
- Red meat
- Fried, processed or starchy foods
- Maintain weight
Being overweight can lead to application of excess of pressure on your knees and joints that can eventually lead to the problem of arthritis. Fat itself is an active tissue that releases pro-inflammatory chemicals in the body. To avoid such a situation, eat a healthy and balanced diet, exercise regularly, stay active and maintain a healthy & positive lifestyle.
People with arthritis tend to be less active, due to the pain they feel when moving stiff body parts. However, exercise is very important for joint health and in the long run can actually help prevent further damage to the knees & other joint areas in the body.
Exercises that people with arthritis can include in their daily routine are:
- Daily stretches for improved range of motion
- Brisk walking for cardiovascular benefits
- Aerobic exercises for building strength and endurance
- Strength training using light weights
- Use Boswellia Essential Oil (Frankincense)
Known as Indian frankincense, the regular use of this oil helps reduce inflammation by preventing the breakdown of cartilage tissue making it an effective home remedy for relief from joint pains.
How to use?
Combine 5-6 drops of pure frankincense oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, and gently massage the affected area, 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes.
- Epsom Salt
Another great remedy to treat arthritis is the use of epsom salt as it known to have high quantities of magnesium, which is considered good for bone health.
How to use?
- Mix 3 tablespoons each of fresh lemon juice & epsom salt into a pint of hot water.
- Have one tablespoon of this mix twice a day (morning and night) for desired results.
- Alfalfa Seeds
Alfalfa is also known for its natural medicinal qualities in the treatment of arthritis.
How to use?
- Add almost one teaspoon of Alfalfa seeds into a cup of hot water.
- Have at least 3-4 cups daily for 2 weeks to lessen the pain.
Don’t let arthritis limit your lifestyle!
Try these home remedies for arthritis, one at a time, to know which works best for you.
Physiotherapy Can HELP!
In case arthritis knee pain treatment at home prove to be ineffective, you must seek help from professional physiotherapists to help you lead a pain-free life.
Trusted by many, HealthCare atHOME’s home physiotherapy service is a great option for people with arthritis. To avail expert physiotherapy services at the comfort of your home, contact us at 1800-102-4224.
Still have any questions? Get FREE telephonic consultation at our helpline 0120-6783277, from our expert team of physiotherapists.