People do have the tendency to think that smokeless tobacco is not as harmful as cigarettes. But that is an absolute illusion. Smokeless tobacco is as harmful as smoking cigarettes. In fact, your body absorbs more nicotine from smokeless tobacco than from smoking a cigarette.
Smokeless tobacco contains around 3000 chemicals, including, 28 cancer causing carcinogens. Some of these carcinogens are:
- Formaldehyde: A disinfectant used to prevent decay of body after death.
- Arsenic: A Potent Poison.
- Polonium-210: Nuclear Waste.
- Cadmium: Used in Car Batteries.
- Ammonia: Toilet Bowl Cleaner.
- Nicotine: Insecticide.
If this is not scary enough, here are the various effects, both short-term and long-term, of chewing tobacco.
- Bad Breath
- Stained Teeth
- The ruined sense of taste and smell
- High Blood Pressure
- Mouth Sore
- Cancer of the mouth, oesophagus, pharynx, larynx, stomach and pancreas, just to name a few.
- Leukoplakia, a disease of the mouth characterized by white patches and oral lesions on the cheeks, gums and/or tongue.
- Heart Disease and Increased risk of stroke.
- Tooth and Bone Loss.
- Receding Gums.
Now that you know the possible dangerous effects of tobacco, quit tobacco, not just cigarettes. Live a healthy, tobacco-free life.