We all love going out, grabbing a bite to eat, stepping into a fancy restaurant and enjoying a hearty meal. People with diabetes can savour their meals, with a few alterations in their diet plans, here and there. Here is a breakdown of the dos and don’ts of eating out, when diabetic:
- Eat smaller portions: Make it a point to manage the portion that you eat for every course. If the restaurant offers only large portions, share your meal with a friend or partner, or pack it up and eat it at a later time.
- Order a healthy appetizer: For your first course, make sure you order something really light and healthy such as a fresh vegetable salad or a clear soup. Order salad dressing on the side and use it sparingly. You could also ask for low-fat salad dressing or flavoured vinegar and have it in moderation. Try to avoid heavy soups and anything that is deep fried.
- The Main Course: For the main course, regulate your intake of sodium. Ask your server for dishes that have lesser salt. Harmful ingredients such monosodium glutamate should be avoided at any cost. Avoid buffets as they do not allow for adjustments in the meal. Keep the food plain. Opt for roasted, grilled, baked or boiled foods with not too many added spices and condiments. You’ll be surprised to see how yummy it actually tastes!
- the extras: Avoid add-ons to your meal such as extra cheese, extra mayonnaise, extra salt or spice. However, if you must have something extra, a bowl of vegetables would be the way to go!
- Dessert: Order a dessert that you can split two or three ways so that your sweet tooth is satiated and you are not eating more than what is right for you. If you’re looking for a healthy dessert, a big bowl of fruits is just the thing for you.
- Check your blood sugar: Be sure to check your blood sugar a few hours after the meal to see if it was right for you. If it’s a little off, you will know what adjustments to make the next time and order wisely.
Now, you have to no longer worry about going out not knowing what to order. Eat to your heart’s delight in any restaurant you please. Just remember to order smart and eat wise!