Feel tired and bloated from overindulging in sinful treats and sleepless nights post New Year celebrations? Well, you aren’t alone and must be wondering how to detox after a New Year party? There is no doubt health often takes a detour after consuming the scrumptious yet not so healthy delicacies we usually gorge on during the party season. But when the party spirit dies down, all we want is to get our health routine back on track.
Detoxing your body after a party is no rocket science. Just a few simple things to follow, and you will be good to go. Take a look at some of the easiest and effective ways to detox your body after a New Year party’s celebrations.
- Intake of water and fluids is one of the simplest and effective ways to detox after all that partying for Christmas and New Year. Water helps hydrate your body, flush out toxins and initiate muscle recovery. Green tea, Aloe Vera/ Amla juice, hot water with lemon and honey are also great health-packed options to go for, as they offer amazing detoxifying properties.
- Eating and at times overeating is quite common during a New Year party. Fried & fatty foods, endless options for sweets and spicy dishes are the flavour of any happening party. So, after a New Year party, it is important to go light on your diet by adding healthy foods, fresh fruits, and green leafy vegetables to your daily intake. Adding different kinds of non-fatty salads sprinkled with healthy seeds and dressed with olive oil is a great option to go for. In addition to this, drinking juices made from fresh fruits and vegetables are a great way to detox.
- When it comes to health and wellness, meditation and yoga can work wonders. Starting and continuing with a basic routine of meditation and yoga can be very helpful in restoring your energy levels and helping you feel light and healthy after an exhaustive week of overeating, sleeplessness and partying. What are you waiting for? Grab that yoga mat and ensure a peaceful mind and body.
- Rum, beer, whiskey, vodka, wine, and so on.. This is a common sight at any new year party celebration. So, after the crazy boozing around and pub hopping, it’s good to stay away from it during your detox period. Regardless of the fact whether you are a regular or an occasional drinker, avoid drinking alcohol during this detox period. Your body needs to flush out the toxins and staying away from alcohol will immensely help you regain your strength and health.
- As Christmas and New Year come only once a year, indulging in food and drinks during parties may not seem to be a big deal. But to achieve a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI), you should still practice the principles of healthy eating to reduce the risk of unwanted weight gain. Besides, try to maintain your daily workout routine, if you follow any.
- Don’t let your social calendar thwart all your efforts. You might be tempted to skip a lunch or dinner to keep room for party food but it could backfire! Skipping meals is a bad idea since it may lead to extreme hunger and you may end up eating more than you intended.
- When your body has become sluggish from too much rich, indulgent food, getting out into the fresh air and getting your blood pumping is a sure-fire way to cleanse it off that feeling. Exercising and sweating will help you burn off the extra calories that you’ve consumed and bring oxygen racing back into your bloodstream.
Even though it can be tempting on New Year’s Day to simply stay indoors, it’s a better idea to get out and take a brisk walk. Detoxing in the days following any kind of extravagant indulgence, means getting into a regular pattern of walking, running or playing a sport to work off the excessive calorie intake and clear your mind.
We know that celebration and enjoyment have no limits. But you should understand that the same does not apply to our body. Know your limits, party hard, enjoy yourself and do not forget to detox every time you indulge yourself.